Enrollment in a print journalism or media design degree program is required.
Prior approval/verification for internship between NVPR and the College/University must be obtained.
This is an unpaid/for-credit-only Internship working for an NPR-affiliate broadcast and media organization that provides the Las Vegas Valley’s only City Regional publication, Desert Companion.
Only one Internship is available per semester; applicants must be working on a Computer Graphics Design degree and enroll in GRC 290B—Internship for Graphic Communications (3 credits) if selected.
For the design side of Desert Companion, the intern will:
- Participate in key steps in the process of producing a city magazine. This will include administrative functions such as requesting art from publicists and organizing calendar information.
- Assist the Art Director/Graphic Designer with designing Desert Companion magazine, designing and resizing ads and marketing materials for Nevada Public Radio.
- Assist with the production of the magazine which includes, but not limited to, retouching and converting images, making changes to layout according to editor’s notes, producing print quality PDFs for the printer and uploading files to the printer.
- Assist in brainstorming concepts for upcoming magazine layouts and projects.
- Ability to communicate and interact with staff, clients, and tenants in a professional and courteous manner a MUST.
- Assist with research and gathering of photographs and illustrations for the magazine, marketing materials and advertising
- The intern should have an interest in art, design, photo journalism and publishing. Most importantly, he/she should be able to design and perform layout with clarity and flair—or be enthused to learn how.
Adobe Creative Suite 5, which includes InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash and Lightroom
Microsoft Word and Excel
Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign highly recommended. Knowledge of Microsoft office products a plus.Part of the internship is the completion of a final project encompassing the entire design-to-print process, from pitching an idea to layout, illustration, marketing and advertising the final product.
The intern would usually work three half days a week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.To be considered for this Internship:
The hours will generally be 9am to Noon or 1pm until 4pm with duration of 12-15 weeks (one semester) for at least 150 hours as required for 3 credit hours.
The ideal student for this internship needs to have an interest in graphic design, with either professional or academic experience in these areas. Ability to communicate and interact with Desert Companion staff and clients is a must! The potential intern must complete an application and agreement of understanding and supply a résumé and cover letter expressing interest in the internship program with NVPR’s Desert Companion and a list of references, along with the degree requirement.Contact: Cynthia Dobek at 702-259-7834.