- Biography & Heritage
- Students Corner
Monday, December 12, 2011
Love designing with type, but get frustrated by the occasional baffling behavior (typographically speaking) of your software? If you answered a disgruntled yes, then you are not alone.
Join Ilene Strizver of The Type Studio as she explains and demystifies some of the most frustrating typesetting tribulations that plague designers and production artists everywhere, including:
> Mysterious line break changes
> Mystery missing fonts
> Jumpy line spacing within a paragraph
> Jumpy line spacing at the end of a paragraph
> Quirky kerning or tracking
This Webinar will help you become the master of your typographic domain.
Don't miss this FREE live Webinar!
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Enrollment in a print journalism or media design degree program is required.
Prior approval/verification for internship between NVPR and the College/University must be obtained.
This is an unpaid/for-credit-only Internship working for an NPR-affiliate broadcast and media organization that provides the Las Vegas Valley’s only City Regional publication, Desert Companion.
Only one Internship is available per semester; applicants must be working on a Computer Graphics Design degree and enroll in GRC 290B—Internship for Graphic Communications (3 credits) if selected.
For the design side of Desert Companion, the intern will:
- Participate in key steps in the process of producing a city magazine. This will include administrative functions such as requesting art from publicists and organizing calendar information.
- Assist the Art Director/Graphic Designer with designing Desert Companion magazine, designing and resizing ads and marketing materials for Nevada Public Radio.
- Assist with the production of the magazine which includes, but not limited to, retouching and converting images, making changes to layout according to editor’s notes, producing print quality PDFs for the printer and uploading files to the printer.
- Assist in brainstorming concepts for upcoming magazine layouts and projects.
- Ability to communicate and interact with staff, clients, and tenants in a professional and courteous manner a MUST.
- Assist with research and gathering of photographs and illustrations for the magazine, marketing materials and advertising
- The intern should have an interest in art, design, photo journalism and publishing. Most importantly, he/she should be able to design and perform layout with clarity and flair—or be enthused to learn how.
Adobe Creative Suite 5, which includes InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash and Lightroom
Microsoft Word and Excel
Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign highly recommended. Knowledge of Microsoft office products a plus.Part of the internship is the completion of a final project encompassing the entire design-to-print process, from pitching an idea to layout, illustration, marketing and advertising the final product.
The intern would usually work three half days a week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.To be considered for this Internship:
The hours will generally be 9am to Noon or 1pm until 4pm with duration of 12-15 weeks (one semester) for at least 150 hours as required for 3 credit hours.
The ideal student for this internship needs to have an interest in graphic design, with either professional or academic experience in these areas. Ability to communicate and interact with Desert Companion staff and clients is a must! The potential intern must complete an application and agreement of understanding and supply a résumé and cover letter expressing interest in the internship program with NVPR’s Desert Companion and a list of references, along with the degree requirement.Contact: Cynthia Dobek at 702-259-7834.
Annabelle's Las Vegas, a retail fine stationery purveyor specializing in custom invitations & design with in-house graphic designers, is interested in offering 1 or 2 internships for the fall semester.
They are specifically looking for young talent that are well versed in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
The position pay a minimal remuneration that is negotiable. Starting date is immediate with 10 to 15 hours of work a week. Credit for this internship can also be earned.
The firm is interested in viewing the portfolio showing a "feminine player to their design work." This opportunity is considered an opportunity to work into full-time employment with the company. Work place is at 4280 S. Hualapa Way, Las Vegas.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Design Gallery Show at Holsum Design Loft
Thursday, May 19, 2001
This show, organized by CSN Instructor Dan McElhattan III for the third year, features the work of his GRC 207 and GRC 294B students.
Judging of the 207 students' posters and the 294 students' portfolios will be done from 6–8:30 pm in an Invitation Only portion of the event with food, drink, and music.
PUBLIC INVITED AFTER 9:00 pm
The gallery will be open to the public and members of the family of the artists from 9–midnight.
See the previous shows: 2009—IMpression • 2010—Inspira
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Circus Couture is seeking fine artists
to donate work for our second annual charity
silent and live auction gallery
held in conjunction with a
world class circus performance
and fashion spectacular
raising money and awareness
for the fight against childhood cancer.
Circus Couture 2011 will take place at
Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
June 26th, 2011
Deadline for Submission Form is Monday, May 23rd
Artwork submissions due Monday, June 6th
Participating artists will added to the event guest list
in exchange for your contribution!
Two-dimensional art preferred, framed
and ready to display on table easels.
All submissions must be delivered by June 6th
The theme of this year’s Circus Couture event is REVOLUTION
Original work may adhere to your interpretation of theme
though it is not required.
For more information, see previous entry.
Monday, May 2, 2011
Last year Circus Couture presented an art gallery which evolved into a world class avant guarde circus and fashion show at the Palms bringing over $100,000 of aid to the Children's Specialty Center of Nevada via the St. Baldrick's foundation to help children of our local community in their fight with cancer.
With over 740 guests in attendance, Circus Couture overwhelmed the Palm's expectation of our drive to make an event to remember. This year we are doing it again.
Circus Couture 2011 will take place at the Joint at Hard Rock (where names as big as Santana grace the stage) to again use art and imagination, what we all do best, to give back to our community and to create yet another unforgettable event of world class circus performance, couture fashion and costume design, and of course a Fine Art gallery and auction.
Check out the Call to Artists [.pdf] as well as the Artist Submission Form [.doc].
For more information, questions and/or comments, contact Brien McCrea and check out their new website (which is still evolving) in this year's theme of REVOLUTION!
Circus Couture Art Curator
Monday, April 25, 2011
The individual needs to have one or more years of website development experience and must have or be able to attain a gaming card by the appropriate licensing agency.
The pay will be $12/hour and is an excellent opportunity for portfolio building.
If you have any questions or wish to interview contact Amir Khawaja at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website Design and Construction
- Design and document digital media assets.
- Design animations using Adobe Flash.
- Gather and document website requirements.
- Update existing websites as needed.
- Ensure all website properties are hardened against malicious data.
- Effectively communicate or escalate issues when required.
- Assure all website assets are secured in accordance with established disaster mitigation and recovery procedures.
- Maintain excellent communication with team members and Management on all tasks and projects.
Required Minimum Skills and Abilities:
- Perform on-site and remote technical support.
- Possess strong understanding of HTTP, HTTPS, and website construction.
- Possess good understanding of data security and encryption of sensitive data using industry accepted best practices.
- Have strong self-discipline and be motivated to work long hours if necessary.
- Be comfortable with code reviews and have the ability to explain decisions through reason and logic.
- Ability to work as a technical professional in a high-pressure environment.
- Consistently carry a professional appearance and maintain professional behavior.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills; capable of writing proposals, papers, and making presentations.
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
- Well versed in using Adobe products specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash.
- Familiarity with Visual Source Safe, Subversion, Mercurial, or Git.
- Write software using the PHP language.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
- Graphic Designers
- Web Designers
- Video Game Developers
- 3D Modeling
The highlights of this opportunity include implementing the steps of pre/post-production, understanding set etiquette and being hands on during the filmmaking process.
Contact Ashton Ridley at 702-415-7470 for more information.
Assistant Program Coordinator (I.T. Specialist / Comm. Outreach Coordinator)
330 W. Washington Avenue • Las Vegas, NV 89106 • 702.648.0104
Upbeat, fast-paced marketing department is in search of an energetic and creative talent to join our expanding team.
Qualities We Seek: Enthusiastic and driven. A fresh and clean approach to design, which includes logos, branding, marketing collateral, in-house materials, print advertising. Experienced in sales/marketing support. Vertical Response and Sales Force knowledge gives you the edge for this position. Willingness to support the marketing department and jump in when the team needs your help.
Our Firm: A strong Las Vegas company with history. The marketing department is making big things happen. The environment is high energy and positive and fast-paced. We work hard and have a fantastic time. A start-up atmosphere within the framework of a solid company.
Show us your best work. Clean. Fresh. Original.
Be ready to hit the ground running. We're changing the way our industry does business.
Send resume, salary requirements and portfolio samples/links to email@example.com.